Do you have an interest in archives, history or heritage? Are you interested in gaining work experience in an archive? Or are you a member of the local community who has a strong connection to the cathedral?
If the answer is yes to any of the above questions then we would love to hear from you!
Guildford Cathedral is currently seeking new volunteers to join our team, undertaking a vital role in the archiving, cataloguing and digitising of materials from the Guildford Cathedral Archives as part of the People’s Cathedral Project.
Under professional supervision, volunteers will be involved in a range of activities to manage, catalogue, digitise and promote the archive materials throughout the community.
The tasks that you could be working on include:
- Cataloguing parts of the Cathedral Archives to recognised archival standards
- Repackaging and preservation tasks to recognised archival standards
- Scanning and digitisation work with the photographic collection
- Support of promotional activities
We are looking for someone has has:
- Previous experience of archive/digitisation programmes or willingness to learn the necessary skills.
- Personal interest in archive materials, heritage or local history
- Good standard of written and spoken English
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Methodical approach and very good attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good ICT skills (word processing, database and spreadsheet applications)
This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone wishing to volunteer at the Cathedral and get a behind the scenes glimpse into the history of Guildford Cathedral. It offers a wonderful chance for anyone interested in a career in archives and heritage.